Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

The Best Stomp Yet

Friday, March 16, 2012

Anyone who has been keeping an eye on this blog for awhile, or knows anything about us at all, knows that we loooove a good puddle stomp.

So of course, after the first big rain here at our new base, the very minute that the droplets paused from their thunderous free fall- we went for it.



Eleanore was as if she had never seen a puddle quite so big, before (...probably because she hadn't)! Jaw hanging wide open while girly shrieks of absolute joy launched upwards from her diaphragm.

If I took a few steps back, it looked a little something like this...



The rains had come down from the cloudy sky and filled the area between plexes full to the brim with buckets and buckets of cold fresh water. This is my favorite part about spring. The rains.



Gosh, can you even imagine what it must be like running through puddles as a child? Well... I guess if you did it, you can, but- as I've mentioned before (maybe a few times), I've never owned a pair of rain boots, or gone on a real puddle stomp (not without my kids present, anyways)- watching the happiness painted all over their faces makes my heart feel like its going to literally explode into a billion pieces of heart shaped confetti. How fun?! How absolutely body rocking, mind blowing, out of this world fun?!

This is the kind of stuff that I really geek out over.
Okay, well- this and anything with cats on it. Or any time traveling re-living your high school years type movies (17 Again, anyone??). Or- chai. I'm a total nerd for chai.

Also: photography, geology (omg do you know how the great lakes formed? SO COOL!!), and the nfg station on pandora every Thursday afternoon while I'm making cookie bars.

Right. But, anyways.



As if I didn't already feel like my soul could die happy and float right on up to heaven after seeing their eyes light up at the mere sight of the leftover rains- they give me stunning images that take my breath away and cause me to cry like a freakin' baby right where I kneel on the side of the wet concrete road. Really kids, holding hands and looking over your shoulder with those happy "I'm about to do the biggest jump you've ever seen in your life, mom!" eyes... thanks kids- please pause while I blow my nose on the sleeve to your Father's hoodie that I stole and am currently wearing with no intentions of ever giving back.



Charlie doesn't have any golashes of his own, so hes been rockin' a pair of purple ladybug covered boots that his sister used to wear.

Did I mention that this water was absolutely freezing?

And thats why what happened next was even more ridiculous...



Because Christopher is just a great big ol' kid, too. They went dancing on reflecting clouds and ripples.

I don't know what he was expecting that initial plunge to feel like when he broke the ice, but- surprise! Its cold!



You know that feeling of being on top of the world? Of being the absolute best at life, and nothing matters other than right now, because you're so happy that there is no other emotion and everything is A-Okay? ...well I saw that in Eleanore, as she walked along the fine line between lake and land, arms outreached and spirit sparkling. I see this from her often. And it reminds me of when I was a child. And it reminds me of what its like to be a child. And its these memories that mold me into the Mother that I am. I want her to feel on top of the world. Even when I don't. I want her to be the absolute best, and know that there is no other emotion other than happy. We spend enough time in tantrums and time outs and dealing with rules and learning and helping and sharing and blah blah blaaaah, that- when I see her lose herself in just being, its the warmest most fulfilling feeling that ever existed, ever.



And in the end, after many and much dancing and playing- the kids sat down on the curb, kicked off their boots, poured out the remains of their adventure, and skipped right on inside for a hot bath and some hot chai.

I have to say- I think this was our best stomp yet.

Until Evelyn is old enough to join in, at least...


Post a Comment