Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Flashback Friday- The Bleach Stained Shoes That Could

Thursday, August 26, 2010


Wow, it is so much easier to blog/type/see things, on the big computer, rather than trying to work on my tiny little requires-reading-glasses-to-operate netbook. Its been almost 3 weeks since I've been able to sit down in this chair comfortably, and even now- I've got a baby in my arms, my elbow being used as a pillow, if you can picture that- while I type.



Raise your hand if you've got a similar picture of your converse shoes?!

...I think everyone on the planet, must have taken this same picture, in one way or another. Or... if you've never owned a pair of Chuck Taylors, then- wait, that person doesn't exist. I'm sure I'll get at least 3 comments begging to differ.

I'm sort of ridiculous, when it comes to shoes. And not in the way that you probably think. I hate shoes. I hate trying to find ones that fit comfortably. I hate spending money on things that you wear on your feet, that will only get dirty and worn out and probably cause blisters in the mean time- haaaate.

I either wear my converse, my running shoes (Adidas), or my flip flops (a pair of black ones from Target that I accidentally stole 2 years ago... how they're still functioning I'm not sure).

I've had the pictured-above pair of shoes, for going on... ummm... (thinking back and counting) ...7 years now. Wait no, maybe 8? I've had the shoe laces, for even longer- having gotten them when I was 16 years old, making them 10 years old. They don't even serve a purpose, at this point (the laces), seeing as how they've fallen apart and are only holding together in exactly the right spots. Or, appear to be, at least. I could never get away with taking them off of the shoes. That would be the end of them, for sure.

The bleach stains on the toes of my converse, are a result of my many nights working at the Woodland, Washington Subway restaurant. I was the assistant manager, and practically lived there. I opened, I closed- sometimes I did both. I can't even tell you how many times I mopped the floors there ...bazillions. And if I was really tired (probably from having had way too much to drink the night before, oh my wild child days *sigh*), then I'd pour extra bleach into the mop bucket, in attempts at using less of my energy, thinking I wouldn't have to scrub the floor as hard, to get it clean. Awesome, right? ...oh Tia.

Every year since living in Texas, the summers consist of nothing but flip flops and bare feet. And when fall rolls around, which it quickly is, and I have to wear actual shoes again, I'm happily greeted by my trusty Converse. Who cares if my pinkie toe on the right foot pokes out through a tiny hole in the fabric- we're still very much in love.

Yes, I just Flashback'd about my shoes. That really happened.


********************************
Flashback with us! Go through your polaroids, scrapbooks, old crappy cell phone pictures- whatever you've got. Scan them, upload them, get them onto the computer somehow, and then share them with the world! Or... with us at least. Post them onto your blogs, write a little bit to go with them- tell us your story. When you're all finished, grab one of our buttons from down below (wayyyy down there at the bottom of our page) and put it somewhere inside your post (or link back to us the old fashioned text way). Come back here to this post, and add your link to the photo list below!

Oh, and I'm really going to make an effort to step up my game as host, this week (newborn = no time for blog reading). Expect comments. And lots of them, heee.


Oh, hey! And if you get a chance, stop by on Saturday, for the kick off of our series of Saturday giveaways!! (trust me, there will be lots of super cute mom/baby stuff thats worth leaving a comment for.. which is also why I felt I needed to type it out in such a large font, the goodies are that good!)

19 comments:

CraftGirlAlli August 26, 2010 at 9:03 PM  

I love this post...I can totally relate! Although I don't think I have a picture of my shoes :( But I had some. I had many different shoe laces and I would change them with my mood (thanks to Hot Topic) lol. I also had a pair of etnies that I wore until the soles wore through!

Now I'm going to look through my pics and see if I can't find even a glimpse of some shoes!

Charmaine Poulin August 26, 2010 at 9:14 PM  

Ha! Love your post!! I have a love affair with comfy shoes!!! I love the way "dressier" shoes look (as long as they're not high) but I always get blisters...booo!

soul_searching_mama August 26, 2010 at 9:36 PM  

Loved it! :) I wear Converse shoes too and I've had one pair of them for seven years, though in a little better shape than yours. lol I won't stop wearing them until they literally fall of my feet, I'm sure!

Jess Craig August 26, 2010 at 9:46 PM  

whoa. you do love those shoes don't you?

Allison August 26, 2010 at 9:50 PM  

First. You're older than me, damnit. Now I feel old.

Second. I just threw my converse shoes out last week! They were just like your's except without the cool laces. And I bought them in 2003 (I remember like that bc I'm a nerd) at Payless. So I'm guessing your's came from the same place. I wore at the soles. Sad, I know.

Thanks for taking me back!

Anonymous,  August 26, 2010 at 9:51 PM  

Im right there with you on this one! I adored my converse, especially in high school. I wrote on them, and I never got new ones..even though they were really funky haha. I wish I still had them..

Christina August 26, 2010 at 11:10 PM  

Hehe! Your pinky toe hole gives it a nice airflow. I had a couple pairs of converse, but I don't know if I have any around anymore. :\ I had fun laces too. Now I mostly wear flats while out and about (that I usually get on clearance at Target! Lots of my shoes were under $10 finds! I feel weird paying normal people prices now!).

But I need some good running shoes, mine right now were cheapish and not the best support. That will be a shoe splurge! Not fancy heels for me. I have achy ankles that can't handle heels.

Lacey August 26, 2010 at 11:34 PM  

I've been meaning to blog about my shoes, answering your question from weeks ago. I took pictures of my shoes for the blog, just haven't gotten around to writing it. It's at the top of my priority list. I will tell you this...we have VERY SIMILAR shoe stories. ;)

The K Family August 27, 2010 at 2:33 AM  

Cute site! Found you on The Paper Mama! Look forward to reading more from you and being a part of Flashback Friday! Following you now. :)

M

Mommy Elephant Sarah August 27, 2010 at 2:54 AM  

Yes yes... I keep meaning to get a new pair because I have no clue where my old pair disappeared too.

Lana August 27, 2010 at 3:12 AM  

OMG seriously who does not have these. Mine are not nearly as old...going on 4 years now I think. I do adore them though!

Alyssa S. August 27, 2010 at 7:12 AM  

I had two pair of Chuck's high tops. Technically, one pair was my sister's, but I wore them so often that my sister eventually have them to me. My favs were pink though I had a black pair too. I'm pretty sure I wore them just about every day my sophomore year in high school. We recently found a pair of low top pink Chuck's in the girl's section at Target and now Amelia has a pair of her own!

Renee August 27, 2010 at 8:06 AM  

I never owned a pair :( but not because I didn't want any, I was always so jealous of everyone wearing theirs! Which may account for the reason that I made all the groomsmen at our wedding wear Chuck Taylors with their tuxes, it was great!

Chelsey - The Paper Mama August 27, 2010 at 8:45 AM  

Sooooo, I think I MIGHT have had a pair of high tops... Can't remember. My favorite shoes were jellies. :)

Are you from Woodland?

Oh Mandie August 27, 2010 at 9:11 AM  

Yes!!! It's totally a huge big fat LIE that all girls hate shoes! I'd totally go everywhere barefoot if I could, a product of growing up on the beach)

And really, nothing is more comfy than a well worn in pair of chucks :)

Jessie C August 27, 2010 at 10:51 AM  

I definitely don't like shoes. I wear flipflops constantly. I did have Converses in highschool and loved them. Great post!

beka August 27, 2010 at 4:50 PM  

I would SO put extra bleach in the bucket, too.
Ah, I love my ...um....Converse knock-offs. Heheh. :) Just never made the jump yet, and I suppose shoes are shoes as long as they're comfy and don't look horribly horrible. LOL

Stephani Cochran August 27, 2010 at 7:04 PM  

I participated for the first time today! Thanks for hosting! ~ By the way I've never owned chuck taylors. :) I've always wanted a pair of pink ones though!

mrs zombie August 28, 2010 at 11:54 AM  

One of my old blogs had a section for pictures of my chucks. I still wear them now, but my standards are a bit higher - you know, like no duct tape to hold them together? Growing up is hard to do!

Post a Comment