Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

A Perfect Rainy Day In April

Sunday, April 18, 2010


On Saturday I woke up much earlier than I would have liked to, at 7:30, so that I could go to a town wide garage sale 22 miles up the highway. I was supposed to go with my neighbor, but she slept right through my "good morning" text message (I don't blame her, Saturdays are usually my days for catch-up sleep too), so I decided to pack up the whole family and take them with me, just to get us all out of the house and breathe the fresh moist air that spring had given us.

Right next to the passenger side of our van, lying on the cold concrete all by itself- covered in perfect little round water droplets, was a single white flower that the wind must have blown away from its planter, and gently tossed into the driveway.

I picked up my camera, which I had on hand in case I should come across an amazing garage sale display (which I didn't), nudged the lens as close to the flower as it would comfortably go, pressed my finger down on the trigger, and then hopped back into the car and off we went on our adventure.

Most of the garage sales were rained out, but the drive was absolutely beautiful, and well worth the trip. As we followed our path home, Christopher told me how much he loved spending time with me, reached over and set his hand on the top of my leg, my heart melted, and our romantic moment reached out into infinity- I've been floating along ever since.

And when we pulled into our driveway, the flower was still there, just as we had left it.
And its probably still out there right now, with its perfectly formed raindrops, stem side up.

If I wouldn't have gotten up early and dragged myself out of bed, I would have never taken that picture, and I would have never written this post. We wouldn't have gone out together on our adventure, we probably would have stayed at home, inside, all day, in our Saturday sweats. My husband would have never reached over and put his hand on my leg, gentle as he did, he would have never said how much he loved spending time with me, which again- completely melted my heart, and we probably would have spent the entire day bickering over something ridiculous, as a result of not having left the house.

Even rainy days are good days for garage sales.

16 comments:

They call me mommy... April 18, 2010 at 7:24 PM  

Moments like that make everyday a good day. My hubby left for a business trip this morning and I swear I saw him shed a tear when he left(he also called 14 times on the way to the airport *we don't spend much time apart as you can tell*). It's nice to know your loved and sometimes you just need to hear it!
Glad you and your family had a good day!

CraftGirlAlli April 18, 2010 at 7:33 PM  

awww...sounds like a PERFECT day to me!!

Colleen April 18, 2010 at 8:02 PM  

I've been missing my husband today and that just didn't help at all. (I say that with a smile and don't begrudge you that moment one bit.) What a lovely moment. And a beautiful picture too.

beka April 18, 2010 at 8:29 PM  

Love the picture.
Love that last paragraph.
:)

Rogue Wild April 18, 2010 at 8:36 PM  

moments like that make it all worth it =o)

Lacey April 18, 2010 at 9:52 PM  

I just read parts of your post to my husband and I said "see, that's all women really want - a sweet gesture."

He was all like "uuhhh huh" and gave me a sweet smirk.

Anonymous,  April 19, 2010 at 5:26 AM  

such a sweet post!! xo

Devon April 19, 2010 at 8:56 AM  

this post made me smile. :)

Alyssa S. April 19, 2010 at 10:42 AM  

I adore every last minute of sleep I can get (for the record I was up at 6:15 that morning...thanks to Merrick!), but really, I can see why waking up early for you was worth it :)

Amy April 19, 2010 at 10:54 AM  

Lovely post and lovely picture (nice depth of field). Looks like you're getting the hang of the new camera!

Anonymous,  April 19, 2010 at 12:32 PM  

Aww. <3

Beautiful photo and story!

xx

Carrie April 19, 2010 at 1:17 PM  

i really like the DOF on that picture. and the husband is so sweet <3

Jo April 19, 2010 at 3:12 PM  

I adore this post, so sweet! Beautiful picture too :)

LeAnna April 19, 2010 at 9:15 PM  

I love garage sales. I love rainy days. And, I love romance. Sweet happiness!

Post a Comment