Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Third Times a Charm

Thursday, February 25, 2010


The quest to find the very perfect ultimate blueberry muffin, has come to an end. I've done it. The muffin that I was imagining, was similar to the kind I used to get at the deli behind my studio. There was nothing I loved more about a Saturday morning, than walking around the corner, and stopping in to buy a cup of coffee and a muffin. The muffins were always so good. Turns out they were from Costco, but- no matter. I still loved overpaying the man at the counter, and walking away with a smile on my face, and a warm spot in my tummy.

Some of you might have tried my first attempt, and thought it was pretty good. You're right, it was "good", but it just wasn't quite what I wanted. A pregnant woman knows exactly what she wants, and unless its exactly that, its useless. Its annoying how particular and demanding my taste buds become when I'm growing another person. I can't explain it. I think they (whoever "they" is) do a pretty good job in movies when they show a demon possessed mother shouting into a drive thru window. When I watch scenes like that, I think to myself, "that looks and sounds about right".

I won't make you wait any longer. Enough of my talk, talk, talking. Lets make some muffins!


The Very Best Gluten Free Blueberry Muffin

-2 1/2 cups baking mix (I prefer Pamela's)
-1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
-1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
-1 teaspoon cream of tartar
-1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
-3/4 cup sugar
-1/2 cup melted butter (smart balance over here)
-1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
-1/2 teaspoon almond extract (this is the secret ingredient, don't leave this out!)
-3/4 cup milk (we like soy)
-3/4 cup frozen blueberries

Directions

-preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
-line your muffin/cupcake pan. This should make 12 muffins exactly.
-mix all of your dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
-pour in your wet ingredients together on top of the dry.
-mix mix mix with a wooden spoon.
-fold in your blueberries at the last minute.
-fill muffin papers 3/4 of the way full, maybe a little bit more. These are egg free, but they're still going to raise.
-bake for 22-24 minutes.
-DO NOT open up the oven door until that timer goes off, or your muffins will cave, and you'll be sad.

*Note* These muffins are good warm, like most muffins are- but they're much better after they've been hanging out in the fridge overnight. Just sayin'.


Enjoy!!!

12 comments:

Laura Craig February 25, 2010 at 10:34 AM  

ooohhh!!!! Those look delicious!!!!! :D

Kyla Roma February 25, 2010 at 10:40 AM  

Congratulations!! So happy that you've conquered the blueberry muffin! =)

iampalegreen February 25, 2010 at 1:06 PM  

They looks absolutely scrumptious! I remember the blueberry muffins from Jewel (our local grocery store chain) had the BEST blueberry muffins. They were huge and had that moist/slimey/mushy top with giant chunks of sugar on top. Ooooh, if I could ever recreate those. Maybe this is the recipe that does!

Sara February 25, 2010 at 1:42 PM  

I will definitely have to try those!

Anonymous,  February 25, 2010 at 3:19 PM  

looks yummy!! xo

Danielle February 25, 2010 at 6:59 PM  

Awesome. Glad you conquered that.

Anonymous,  February 25, 2010 at 10:00 PM  

Congratulations! They look fantastic. I cant bake to save my life so I realize what an accomplishment this truly is!

Ashley Stone February 26, 2010 at 1:03 AM  

yum!!!! Can't wait to try, they look awesome

soul_searching_mama February 26, 2010 at 1:06 AM  

Those look delicious! Congrats on finding the perfect gluten-free blueberry muffins! :)

Lauren February 27, 2010 at 7:03 PM  

YAY! Tia, these look gorgeous =D. I'm so glad you found just what you wanted!

Sarah February 27, 2010 at 9:55 PM  

i would come over for gluten-free cakes any day!

Unknown March 1, 2010 at 5:29 PM  

I found you looking up results for the 30 day shred ( Just did my first day and am positive Jillian Michaels may be trying to kill me...but I'll stick with it). I am also new to gluten free after years of pain, I'm so excited to make these muffins! I'm glad I found you!

Post a Comment