Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Flashback Friday: Week 28

Friday, February 12, 2010


I'm kind of cheating. These pictures aren't really from Valentines Day. But they are full of red lipstick and kiss marks, and that's what Valentines Day is all about right, for us romantics at least?


This picture was taken at a summer back yard party back in 2005, when Christopher and I were on the edge of engagement, and not yet sure of our adventurous future together.

Remember how back in school we'd make some kind of "mailbox", and deliver Valentines to all of our classmates? There would always be a mom that brought in cupcakes, and if we were lucky, our parents would get us a box of chocolates and a teddy bear, that would reassure us that they loved us, even though without those material and tasty things, we knew they loved us everyday anyways?

Then as we got a little bit older, it became about the boys that we liked. We could pay money to a fellow student sitting at a table in the hallway, and have a single rose delivered to our crush, best friend, or sweetheart, during 5th period. I never had anybody to send a rose to, and I never had a rose sent to me.

Until I met Christopher.

Christopher isn't the best when it comes to being romantic. Did anybody watch Modern Family the other day? I don't think I've laughed that hard at a show, ever. The couple that went on a role playing date to the bar- the husband... him and Christopher have a lot of awkward qualities in common. Christopher tries, in his own "I know I'm supposed to do something special on this day, because I've gotten in trouble by her in the past" kind of way, but its just never really worked out the way that he thinks it will when hes planning it out at the very last minute.

This Valentines Day, I don't expect anything from him. The Canon camera that I got a few weeks ago, I consider that my everything-present for the rest of the year. Valentines Day, Anniversary, Birthday, Mothers Day. I can't imagine him going out and buying me anything from a pink cardboard display stand, that would mean anything more than "I just threw away $10 on something that you really don't want". I've got a little something up my sleeve for him, nothing too special, nothing store bought, but its something that I think will show him that I love him. He'll smile, and say something like "aww, honey", and that will be that.

Wait- this wasn't really a flashback, was it? It was supposed to be, but... sorry guys, I guess I just really needed a place where I could ramble out some words and get to my point...

I love my husband. And until I met him, Valentines Day was nothing more than a day of emptiness, and guilt for eating my entire cardboard heart shaped box of self bought chocolates. And now- its a reason to put on red lipstick and leave kiss marks all over a handsome man's cheek. Valentines Day has turned into an excuse to slide open the zipper on my heart just a little bit more than I would on a normal given day, and let just a little bit more love in.

Flashback Friday Button


********************************************

Want to flashback with us? Post a picture, this weeks optional theme is Valentines Day, of you from way back when- your childhood, a year ago, last week. Write a little bit about your photo, grab our button from the bottom of our blog (waayyyy down past all of the posts) and center it somewhere in your post (or you can just link us the old fashioned text style way), and then add your link to the link list below. If you've got a minute, browse through some of the other flashbacks, we've got a great little community going, and seeing treasured photos and the stories that go with them is a great way to get to know somebody.

Next weeks theme, which is completely optional should you choose to flashback, is going to be pet themed. I was going to make it cat themed, but then realized that not everybody is a cat person, so then I was going to have it cat/dog themed, but... maybe you only like lizards? I don't know. So its pet themed, haha.

Can't wait to see what y'all come up with!!

9 comments:

Alita February 12, 2010 at 6:39 AM  

I understand your sentiment so well. Valentines day was just a sham to me. My bff and I spent many valentine days having girl time. Which probably fueled the gay rumor, but oh-well. It wasn't any better when I was actually dating or had a boyfriend at the time. Too much expectation I guess. Now that I'm married to Nick (this is what you might relate to) I don't feel the NEED to celebrate this day. I have Valentines day 365 days a year.

Nice flashback... because you did go back to those awkward years. I hope you have a wonderful weekend chica!

April February 12, 2010 at 7:44 AM  

Awww, you guys are so cute!!

Devon February 12, 2010 at 8:59 AM  

That looks like quite the kiss on Christopher's cheek!

I used to love making those mailboxes in elementary school!

Our school used to do a QUIZ and a carnation sale. The quiz was a match-making type thing where you would fill out this paper a few days ahead of time, then around Vday they would give you the results of the people (in my case, boys) that you matched up with. Talk about embarrassing (but secretly fun! My friends and I would giggle later about the boys on our lists.). I can't really believe the school actually did that... now that I think about it!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Unknown February 12, 2010 at 9:52 AM  

Aw! Love those pictures!!

We don't ever celebrate Valentines day. I think it might be because my birthday is before... or else Will isn't the love-day type (reminds me of Christopher in that respect) but I've never gotten a box of chocolates or anything Valentines Day related. But I always love my birthday gifts from him!

Unknown February 12, 2010 at 11:26 AM  

That is too sweet! I have to say that Hank would be the romantic one in our family. He always does something pretty good...and I always forget! LOL

Alyssa S. February 12, 2010 at 11:34 AM  

Those are great pics :) I think that camera would count in my gift book for every holiday for the next two years! He might not do the outward romantic things...but I have my suspicions that he might like you a little bit. And that's "like you like you" :)

Christina February 12, 2010 at 12:50 PM  

Very sweet. The lips pics are so cute. My husband is also not big into valentine's day. He does get me a card and flowers usually, and we go out to eat(with the kiddo hehe, no babysitter). Besides that, we don't exchange gifts really. I like V-day, but we don't do tons for it either. :)

Ashley Stone February 12, 2010 at 1:37 PM  

Cute pix. Like your blog! I'm gluten free too! ; )

Post a Comment