Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Week 24

Friday, January 15, 2010



*awkward silence*

So um, how bout' them Ladybugs?

I think this picture was from the 3rd or 4th grade. one or the other. I don't remember who's idea it was for me to play sports, mine or my parents, but either way, I went out for girls softball. I joined the little league.

As you can see from the photo... I wasn't exactly, um... well. Ya know.

I sucked. You can by just looking at me, that I sucked. Its not that I wanted to suck, because I wanted to be good, it just so happened that I had zero hand eye coordination, couldn't catch or hit a ball, and ran slower than somebody without legs.

The thing is, I didn't quit after the season was over. I played the next year too. What was I thinking?! I think that was the season that I developed a nasty habit of throwing the bat. After I'd hit the ball (because I had gotten just slightly better at my game), rather than letting go of the bat nicely and letting it kerplunk to the ground, my swing would kind of reverse itself, and the bat would go flying into the fence behind me, or sometimes... the umpire. Sorry guy.

Not only did I have my attempt at being a super star in the little league, but I gave it a go at volleyball (oh lord), track (really Tia, really?), and dance team (woot woot!). Would you believe that I was actually really good at dance team? I was horrible at everything else, but I rocked the co captain spot on the dance team for the year that I participated.

Turns out Christopher tried just about every sport offered throughout his childhood as well, and just like me, failed horribly. We're scared for the future of our children's athletic attempts. Good luck Herman babies, you'll need it!

----------------------------------------------

Ok by now, most of you are pro's when it comes to Flashback Friday. You dig up an old photograph of yourself, post it on your blog, facebook, twitpic, livejournal, wherever- and write your story to go with it. We laugh with each other. We cry with each other. We all celebrate our historys and memories with each other in a cute blog-bonding kind of way. If you haven't joined the party before, there is no greater time than the present. Grab your scanner and a cup of coffee, and un bury a piece of your past. Make sure to add your link to the list below, and add the link to this post, to your post.


24 comments:

Mommy Elephant Sarah January 15, 2010 at 6:50 AM  

Awww I think its cute! I only played softball for several years ( I loved it), tried soccer and quit after 2 practices! I just hated it so much I begged my parents to let me quit. I did track & field in Jr. High, but thats it.
One of my biggest memories of softball is my first home run, and the year where my dad became assistant coach, and our very first practice he threw the ball to a bunch of girls to bat, then it was my turn, and he threw it at my eye. I got a big ole black eye. Hey at least it was his kid right? I laugh about it now! :)

LisaDay January 15, 2010 at 6:51 AM  

Giggle. Good for you at being good at dance. Zero coordination also goes in that department. Good thing I can swim otherwise I would have zero talent in any sport field. Perhaps the Herman babies will shook their parents.

Amy January 15, 2010 at 8:17 AM  

Aw, Tia, this post had be in tears! Amazing how such an awkward little duck turned into such a cool, COOL lady. Your kiddos will be (ARE!) just as awesome as their parents.

(Will try to get a FF post up if we finish school in a timely matter... which is doubtful since Liam's been whining since he woke up...)

Unknown January 15, 2010 at 8:37 AM  

Tia. I love ya. You're so cute.

I played soccer one year (first grade). My mom was the assistant coach so she was always at the games and practices, so I couldn't sit out... had to play. After I got smacked in the face with the ball, I didn't have to play anymore... and I never played soccer ever again. Or any sport. I hate sports.

Unknown January 15, 2010 at 8:39 AM  

That is funny! Love the pic. Hank and I actually have the whole sports world covered too I think. I played volleyball and tennis and he played football, basketball and baseball. Yep, I am afraid we might have to be those kinda parents..you know the dreaded sports Mom and Dad! LOL

Christina January 15, 2010 at 9:02 AM  

You are so cute, and hilarious!! I was not a sports gal myself, but I also loved dance and participated in some dance groups(at church, we had someone who was a choreographer).

I will be posting one in a little bit!

(disorder) January 15, 2010 at 9:17 AM  

I did not play any sports. I was a girl scout, though. It is a cute picture, really. (:

Oh Mandie January 15, 2010 at 9:29 AM  

Aww Tia you are a brave brave soul for posting that picture! What a cutie you were, even if you were an uncoordinated cutie!

I took karate lessons once ... for 3 whole lessons. Thats about as far as I ever went with sports.

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations January 15, 2010 at 9:44 AM  

Awww! I only played softball for 2 yrs and then never played another sports. I was not very athletic at all.

Unknown January 15, 2010 at 10:14 AM  

Great flashback!! Who needs sports anyways??

April January 15, 2010 at 11:13 AM  

LOVE IT! I was not on the athletic side either!

Erika Lee @ A Tiny Rocket January 15, 2010 at 11:34 AM  

My mother put me in the pigtail pony tail league and I pray my mother burned those old pictures. They were horrible.

Kimberly D. January 15, 2010 at 11:58 AM  

I was the awkward, scrawny, freckle faced, wiry-haired, red headed girl who looked like a boy. Man I need to find some of those photos...
I also played lots of sports but wasn't really any good at them until I played soccer in High School.

Megan January 15, 2010 at 1:18 PM  

Our little league stories are almost identical! I was so scared of the ball it's not funny and my position was way out in the middle of the outfield. (My best friend was a softball star, though. I was jealous.)

Johanna January 15, 2010 at 2:04 PM  

Oh Tia- you were so cute. I think it's good that you gave all those sports a go. Why not- you'll never know what your good at if you don't try!
I wanted to let you know that I've awarded you a happy blog award because when I visit you cute lil blog it makes me happy!
check out the details on my blog. I hope you'll join in.
xox
http://johanna-birdsonawire.blogspot.com/

Crafty Mama January 15, 2010 at 2:12 PM  

I have an embarrassing story full of injuries for every sport. I'm hesitant to sign my poor kids up for anything.
Softball- hit my PE teacher with the bat and hit my friend in the head with the ball
Kickball and soccer- regularly stepped on the ball instead of kicking it, falling and knocking the wind out of myself every time
Volleyball- gave myself a fat lip by hitting it directly into my own face
Ice skating- fell and broke my arm during an ice skating class in college- toe pick!

jessicajane January 15, 2010 at 2:51 PM  

oh my god thatbnk you for making me laugh. "ran slower than a person without legs."

Unknown January 15, 2010 at 3:28 PM  

Hello, new reader/follower here :) This is adorable! I used to do a "Memory Monday" on my blog every week where I posted a childhood photo among other memories. This is awesome and I can't wait to join in!

Giggly January 15, 2010 at 3:40 PM  

This pic is too awesome!! I NEVER played sports as a kid. So, no sports flashbacks for me. :-/

Alyssa S. January 15, 2010 at 5:21 PM  

Hey, at least you gave things a try! Lots of kids never even do that. I never played baseball or softball. I was never interested. I played soccer for four years and loved it. I ran track for a few years...tried out for the high school volleyball team and didn't get picked. I don't do well at games where small objects are propelled at me! Soccer was perfect me because the ball is nice and big :) I'm mediocre at tennis at best.

Oh, you never know...both Herman offspring might surprise you!!

CraftGirlAlli January 15, 2010 at 8:50 PM  

I tried softball in 11th grade. I sucked haha.

soul_searching_mama January 15, 2010 at 10:32 PM  

I think it is awesome that you stuck with it! :) I played football, soccer, basketball (my absolute favorite), softball, track, volleyball, tennis, etc. growing up. I was on Varsity for Basketball in high school, which was my favorite, but I ended up giving that up to focus on Varsity Knowledge Bowl (um, yeah, I'm a nerd lol). I basically loved sports, even though I was usually on teams where I was the only girl...My husband however played soccer for one or two years as a kid (turns out we were on the same team - didn't find out until 2 wks before we were married!!), and has no athletic ability whatsoever. We've pretty much agreed that I'll be in charge of teaching our kids how to throw balls and run w/o tripping. John will show them how to use a compass or something. lol ;)

ricebabies January 15, 2010 at 11:29 PM  

That is SOOOOOOOOOOO awesome!!! I totally want to play. perhaps next week I can join in.

Congrats on the little, I too am expecting a third. =) Early July.

Splendid Little Stars January 16, 2010 at 9:34 PM  

LOL!
I coached recreational youth softball for about 8 years, and being good athletically was not necessarily the focus. I love your never-give-up attitude!

Post a Comment