Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Hello Baby Face

Monday, January 11, 2010


That pretty little girl with the short messy pigtails, is Eleanore. You might not have recognized her, since her face isn't being smothered by a thick blanket of blond, but after sitting still in a chair yesterday long enough to let Mommy have a go with the scissors, Eleanore's baby face was finally set free.

Its been so long since I've really been able to see her cheeks. Those beautiful chubby widdle cheekers. For as long as I can remember, shes been known for her long curls. People have commented on them all the way from the park to Walmart. Sometime this past summer though, her curls disappeared. There was no going away party, one day they just up and left. Her hair fell straight as a board after that, and doubled in its thickness. Her hair has always been hard to manage, it got to a point where I just stopped trying. I never put it in ponytails anymore, its so heavy that the ponytail would just fall out within minutes, wasting my efforts and half the time breaking the pony holder. The decision to cut it all off, did not come lightly.

A few months ago I cut off about 6 inches, thinking that it might be enough, but as the weeks went on, there really wasn't any difference. It was still always in her face, and no headband or hair clip on the planet would do its job. Yesterday, Miss Eleanore picked out her favorite Rainbow Brite movie, pulled up a kitchen a chair, and while she didn't move even an inch, I snipped away through a forest of strands, until there was nothing left.

Of course, this morning I had forgotten about her haircut completely, and when my eyes focused in on her sitting neatly at the dining room table, my heart jumped into my throat and my breathe slipped out of my mouth in the form of "ohmahgod". Its going to take a lot of getting used to. A lot. Until her new look has settled in with all of us, I'll probably be fluffing things up with cute pigtails and alligator clips galore. Just like in the picture above.

7 comments:

mari January 11, 2010 at 11:08 AM  

She really looks great.
It's already happening to me when I look at my Wren in the bath with wet hair, or push her baby "bangs" all the way to one side, she's someone else.
I so get it!

Alyssa S. January 11, 2010 at 1:55 PM  

LOVE it :) I think I let Amelia's hair get really long once. It was at a time she refused to let me put anything at all in her hair. I think I let it stay for about 3 months...then I cut it up to her shoulders. It's pretty much stayed there...or just past her shoulders, ever since. She has pin straight, silky fine hair. I'm just glad she lets me put it up now...so I keep it just long enough for the hair pretties...but still out of her face. She and Merrick have hair that grow so fast...we are at Great Clips about every other month!

Anonymous,  January 11, 2010 at 2:30 PM  

such a cutie pie!
xo

soul_searching_mama January 11, 2010 at 4:51 PM  

I definitely know how you feel! Johnny is 2 1/2 and we STILL haven't gotten him his first haircut. We love his curly hair too much...I'm afraid that once we cut his hair, he'll lose his curls and look more like a big boy than my baby. One of these days we'll have to cut it, b/c it is getting long and at times tangled, but for now, I'm clinging to his baby curls. Eleanore looks adorable with her new haircut, and I'm sure you'll eventually get used to it. :) Definitely doesn't make it any easier to get used to our babies growing up, now does it?

Sarah January 11, 2010 at 8:52 PM  

i love that pic and her new hair. when i first looked at it, i thought it was a flashback from a while ago because of that little baby face!

Post a Comment