Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Random Pretties

Monday, November 23, 2009

Nothing makes me happier than getting mail. Postcards, notes, bills, catalogs (ok not always catalogs, but sometimes they're not so bad, right?), and especially- packages.

I'm not usually the one that goes out to the mailbox, Christopher typically pulls up beside the box on his way home from work to see if anything has come that day. Sometimes, if I'm really lucky, he walks in the door with a box. And the other day, I was really lucky.

I got a package (!!!) from one of my favorite Etsy shop, Random Pretties.


Not just any package either, it was a brightly colored super stuffed box full of awesomeness!

Inside my delivery, was a really cute tea cup zipper pouch- perfect for putting my tea bags and packets of stevia in. All of the supplies that I would need to make the cutest hand sewn pinwheel Christmas ornaments. And my very favorite part: a cute little sewing supply book, just my style.


The reason I got so excited over my new skull craft book, is I've never had my own sewing kit. Ever. I can't sew. I want to sew, I daydream about being able to sew, but I just can't do it. I took a home economics type class in both middle school and high school, and the results were less than presentable. I can't even sew a straight line on a brown paper bag. I suck at sewing. Christopher, my husband, has more sewing supplies than I do.

I couldn't wait to dig into my ornament kit, stab my fingers with my new needles (which I did, several times, and it hurt, and I hated it, but I loved it), and make some random pretties.

It took me two days to finish this project. Not because it was hard, it was actually really easy, which is rad for the no-sew kinda gal like myself, I just don't have time to sit down and focus on something for more than a little while at a time, ever. This was perfect, actually.

Um, I had Christopher help me iron.
Doesn't he look cute?


I hate ironing. Hate hate hate. I'm always afraid that I'm going to burn a hole into the fabric, burn myself, or burn the dang house down. Christopher had to iron his uniforms all by himself while he was in basic/tech school, so... hes had a lot of practice.

After two days of going back and forth to the dining room table (who really eats at their table anyways?), cutting a corner here, sewing a button on there- I was finished! I made 8 beautiful pinwheel Christmas ornaments!!


I strung the ornaments up together on a strand of red wire, banner style, above the dining room window, where our Christmas tree will be going (the day after Thankgiving, of course). Eleanore calls them "flowers", rather than ornaments. I call them perfect. The best part of all though, is that I sewed them myself.

You guys, I sewed something.

If you want to sew some of these super easy and oh so cute pinwheel ornaments as well, click here to get yourself the tutorial! You can make these for yourself, your friends, your family, using whatever fabrics you have on hand (or if you don't have any fabric, the recipe calls for very little, it will cost you next to nothing). You can hang them on your tree, or hang them up banner style like I did. Either way, they'll brighten your space.

--------------------------------------------------------
Random Pretties is offering a discount to all of you! Enter discount code "TIA" at checkout (tee hee, thats me), and you'll get 20% off of your order. Heck yes! Nessa is pretty rad that way.

She has more than just ornaments in her shop too, shes got really cute clothes for the littles (I purchased a very cute custom birthday dress for Eleanore's 3rd birthday from her), little purses and pouches, bibs- lots of cuteness. You won't be disappointed that you clicked your way over there. Promise <3

13 comments:

Alyssa S. November 23, 2009 at 6:26 AM  

Love your pinwheels! They came out really nicely and are SO cute.

Now...the lecture :) Not even 6 months ago I was saying the same thing you were..."I can't sew"...over and over. I finally swallowed what was left of my pride and tried it again...for the first time since the 7th grade...and you know what...it wasn't so bad! I won't claim to be a sewing goddess, but I'm better at it than I was when I was 11...so maybe you should try it again?

Maggie November 23, 2009 at 8:18 AM  

I hate to say this, because I try to be supportive of teachers, but I think home ec classes were a FAIL for nearly everyone. The only reason I was the least bit successful was because I already knew how to sew. I was making myself clothes at home, so of course could make a little pillow shaped like a fish in school. I have a friend who is a fabulous quilter, but her home ec experience nearly turned her off sewing forever.

I'm with Aly, you should try it again for sure, spurred on by your wonderful pinwheel ornament success!

Johanna November 23, 2009 at 9:03 AM  

those pinwheels are oh so cute! and yes i love a man that can iron too!

Giggly November 23, 2009 at 10:05 AM  

Adorable X-Mas pinwheels!! Love them!

I wish I knew how to sew on a sewing machine....I can hand sew pretty well. :)

This Little Bird November 23, 2009 at 11:54 AM  

Lovely blog today... thanks Tia. I'm glad you liked the kit. I also agree with the others... you should give sewing another try. You'd probably surprise yourself :)

The Girl Made From Color November 23, 2009 at 12:30 PM  

I was holding off on getting that tutorial, but if I can get it on sale... Thanks Tia!

soul_searching_mama November 23, 2009 at 12:39 PM  

I love the pinwheels! You did a great job! I also took a Home economics class in Middle School and it was a disaster. I am trying to teach myself to sew now, because there are so many things I want to make, but I really wish that I had been more committed to learning when I had a teacher in Middle School. You did a great job & it gives me hope that maybe I'll be able to figure out how to sew things too! :)

Crafty Mama November 23, 2009 at 1:21 PM  

Congrats! You should try making pillow covers next. It's good straight line practice. :)

Loved the pic of Christopher- it made me giggle to see him all hunched over ironing.

Devon November 23, 2009 at 1:38 PM  

The pinwheels look great! Good job! What a unique idea!

I am not so good with sewing... but I try! I just can't seem to focus on it for very long though... and I LOATHE patterns. I much prefer projects that I can free-hand and still get a great result!

Petals November 23, 2009 at 2:12 PM  

Beautiful job! they are super cute.

Adrienne November 24, 2009 at 8:45 AM  

Those are absolutely adorable! You did a great job. Sewing is very easy if you have the right machine! Try to learn on a plastic $90 sewing machine and you might just end up throwing it and/or yourself out the window. If you ever have any sewing q's you can always send them my way.

Christina November 24, 2009 at 9:32 AM  

I love packages too. :) Those pinwheels are adorable. Seeing all the things you make, and your creativity, you could definitely sew! I sew and no one really taught me how, I just tried it out. I haven't made things like clothing yet though, eeeeks. I am a very basic sewer. My sewing machine is not fancy, and it's a smaller version of a regular machine. But it works, for years and years now. :)

Unknown November 29, 2009 at 7:31 PM  

Oh yay for you!! And super cute!!

I'm a sewer, so if you ever want to make something, just say the word. I worked with April (who doesn't sew) while she was visiting and she made the cutest vintage pillowcase dress for her kid. Took no time at all and was stinkin' adorable.

Post a Comment