Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Goodbye Goldilocks

Tuesday, November 24, 2009


Sometimes things just don't go as planned, do they? Sometimes you have to put down whatever it is that you're working on, grab a pair of scissors, and hack off your daughters hair.

I don't know what it was exactly that triggered my madness, but on Friday, I couldn't stand to comb even one more strand of tangled blond hair. When Eleanore answered "YEAH!" to "do you want to get a haircut?", that was it- I grabbed the scissors and went for it. I pulled her hair into a purple pony holder, told her to hold real still, and jaggedly cut off 6 or more inches of her beautiful hair.

My heart sank to my feet when I was finished. I had been holding onto her gorgeous hair for so long now, as if it were a symbol of her baby years. When she was around 18 months old and her hair really started growing in, I would daydream about the day that it would grow long enough to pull into french braids. That day came and went, and I loved it. The longer her hair got, the longer I wanted it to get. It was gorgeous. Unfortunately, the longer it got, the thicker it got, the more tangled it got, the more she cried when I brushed it-

Goodbye Goldilocks.

10 comments:

Brandy L November 24, 2009 at 7:42 AM  

Wow your daughter already has gorgeous hair! I'm sure it'll be easier to brush out now that it's shorter. :D

Alyssa S. November 24, 2009 at 8:06 AM  

Whoa, for a minute there I thought you were going to tell us that she hacked off her own hair! Both of my kids have always had SO much hair...especially Merrick. Amelia has lovely hair, but it's like mine was at the same age...silky and fine, so it's pretty unruly. When it got long enough to put up I thought I was set...but for ages she refused to keep in hair clips or hairbands, so I ended up cutting it to a manageable length. Now that she's willing to let me put in "hair pretties" I let her keep it a little longer, but still...I feel like both kids are getting haircuts just about every month!

Unknown November 24, 2009 at 8:22 AM  

Oh, she has great hair, but the good thing about hair is that it grows! So, soon she'll have tons of long blonde hair again!

I hope I get little red headed babies... :D

Kitty November 24, 2009 at 8:47 AM  

aw, she's still goldilocks! just with untangled hair.

:D

Unknown November 24, 2009 at 10:10 AM  

Aw, she does have the loveliest hair. I always think that. Besides, I'm sure it will grow back in no time!!

I never had to cut my kids hair... they cut it themselves...

merelythemoon November 24, 2009 at 10:26 AM  

Dear God, I would have cut it long ago with all the trouble that comes with long hair on children! You're a freaking saint for waiting so long!

Giggly November 24, 2009 at 10:40 AM  

Awww...

Wow! you really held out a long time. :) Molly was born with thick black hair that slowly turned golden brown. It was down to her shoulders by 4 months!! Everyone thought she was wearing a wig....umm...why would I put a wig on a baby?? lol I started cutting her hair at 6 months, it was so long! I just kept it in a bob style, cutting it about once a month. I wished I would have let it grow really long, but I couldn't handle it till she got into kindergarten.

That's good that Eleanore wanted to get it cut. I remember my mom hacking off all of my hair and hating it! lol I know now that it is SO much easier to deal with especially when it is so thick. :) ...and you know it will grow back in no time. :)

If you still have the hair you cut off, I'm betting you do, you should frame it! :) Hee-hee. I'm weird like that, I have baby teeth and umbilical cord stumps in my dresser drawers.

Devon November 24, 2009 at 11:47 AM  

My niece has gnarly long hair... and by gnarly I don't mean RAD! It could be really great... but she hates to brush it--or pull it back for that matter... so it's always turning into one big rats nest! I don't blame you for trying to tame your daughter's hair... although it was really cute. I'm sure it's just as cute now though!

MM November 24, 2009 at 12:48 PM  

Mom chopped my hair super short once. She told me it would make me look "foxy."

Crafty Mama November 24, 2009 at 2:01 PM  

My daughter has always cut her own hair, too. And her brother's, and her doll's, and the dog's...

It all does grow back eventually. Meanwhile we're explaining to visitors that poor doggy doesn't have some weird flesh eating thing, it's just a bald spot from his recent "beauty salon" visit.

Post a Comment