Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Clean Week. Day 3. The Stairs.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009


We've lived in this house for a year in a half now (the longest amount of time we've lived in any one place- we have a bad habit of hating where we live), and in that time, we have never cleaned the stairs. I think I went over them with the Swiffer wet jet once, which is kind of cleaning it, in a lazy attempt to get off whatever was spilt on the the third from the top step 8 months ago, so I knew it was time to get down on my hands and knees (3 days into clean week, my knees are killing me), fill up the mop bucket with a lemon scented throat burning liquid hell, grab a hand towel (I don't have any nice ones, thanks to Christopher's mechanic hands coming in and ruining them. All of them!), and show those wooden stairs who's boss!


As you can see, I hated it. I hated how the cloth got cold in between bucket dunks, I hated how I started seeing twinkling purple colored (and dancing) lemons out of the corners of my eyes due to the intoxicating (and not the good kind of intoxication) citrus aroma, and I especially hated scrubbing with my fingernails down into the creases of the wood, scraping out what can only be described as dirt from the planet Mars. I'm almost positive that most of the mess was probably here from before we moved in, because there is no way that I've ever taken a tube of toothpaste and squeezed it along side the molding while shaking cat hair from a burlap sack so that it could rain down and stuck to the surprisingly clingy baking soda solution. But- I don't know, maybe I did? Anything is possible at this point of my motherly insanity.

Clean week, day 3, the stairs ARE DONE! And they look great. I'm tempted to do my entire downstairs like that, on my hands and knees with the hell bucket. Think I could do it?

On a completely unrelated note: Today is Veterans Day, for those of you who might be living in a cave, reading my blog on your cell phone that only has one bar of signal. Take a minute to give some thanks? We're going down to the air park here on base with the kids in a little bit. And then later coming back to clean some things upstairs.

If you've done some cleaning of your own, taken before and after pictures, and want to help motivate the rest of us (y'all were slacking yesterday), link up!!

8 comments:

April November 11, 2009 at 9:38 AM  

You go girl!! I wish I could be inspired to do a major cleaning... But, well... I can't!

A big thank you hug to your hubby (and you and the kiddos for that matter) for protecting our freedoms!

Christina November 11, 2009 at 10:08 AM  

You are wonder woman this week! haha. Wow, awesome job so far with all the cleaning.

Very inspiring...though I am still sitting here on my butt gazing around at what needs to be organized. Oye!! I will be (hopefully) posting about my back room sometime in the future, if I ever get it all cleaned up. With before and after pics of the craziness!

Hobocamp Crafts November 11, 2009 at 10:16 AM  

Looking great mama! I am inspired to clean something, just haven't found out what... I think I spy with my little eye.. the mounds of fabric on my sewing table along with clothing I am going to recycle- one of these days! My pops is a veteran we're happy to have him with us- give your hubby a kiss and a hug of thanks- for all he does. We cherish these guys & girls risking their lives for us as well as their families! xo

soul_searching_mama November 11, 2009 at 10:49 AM  

Wow. I don't think I ever would have done that. That is VERY impressive! :) You are doing a great job with this clean week!!! Might even inspire me to do something productive...maybe. :)

Oh, and I sent you my address. Thanks again!! I'm really excited I won! :) Now I just have to figure out something really awesome and delicious to make with it... :)

Oh Mandie November 11, 2009 at 11:13 AM  

its for this reason alone that I live in a ranch style house!

You're awesome girl!

Anonymous,  November 11, 2009 at 1:46 PM  

even on veteran's day, you are a trooper!! thank you to your husband, and to you and your family for making the sacrifices you do for all of our well-being/well-beings(?). you know what i mean.

and i'm totally with ya - there's no way that all this mess in this house is mine. i say the people that lived here before were so dirty, the grossness is still coming up from below the surface! (i'm not gonna tell you that we've lived here 3+ years!)

Lauren November 11, 2009 at 2:54 PM  

I wrote a little about Remembrance Day - Its a wonderful occasion to remember and say thank you to all that have served =D.

Your stairs are looking great!!

Karin Schueller November 11, 2009 at 8:31 PM  

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. That was my status all day on Facebook. Thank you to your hubby... but thank you to YOU and your kiddos too. :)

So... I had to say, that I saw a t-shirt today that I desperately wanted to order and send to you, lol. It said "All we have to fear is fear itself... and spiders"

Post a Comment