Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Saturday mornings with Christopher. 1.

Saturday, September 20, 2008

I'm what you would call a "heavy sleeper". My eyes are sealed shut as soon as my head hits the pillow (sometimes before). Usually I'm awakened either by a screaming alarm clock, or Tia yelling "Christopher!!!!", amplified x 10. I can sleep anywhere. The car, the couch, the dentist, in a kitchen chair, standing, walking, in space, on top of a volcano, well you get the picture. And unbeknownst to me, I gasp for breath like I'm dying and chomp my lips like Mr. Ed when I'm asleep, driving Tia absolutely insane (who, when it comes to sleep habits, is directly opposite of me. She sleeps like a Marine in a combat zone). So last night I slept on the floor.

Can I just hear it for the proud husbands of the pregnant, who crawl out of their comfy beds at 2am, lay their pillow down on the carpeted (or in some cases hardwood) floor, and settle their aching backs down to sleep without a complaint? I know I'm not the only one. We've actually got a queen sized inflatable mattress that was permanently installed in the bedroom for a month or so. That was almost as comfortable as the actual bed. But last night the air bed was in the new baby's empty room, and I was tired, so... the floor it was.

Well imagine my surprise, when I wake up to Tia not pulling her hair out and yelling my name in that particular way she does ("Chris-toe-pher!!") but a 2 year old saying "Daddy, Daddy!", which is probably the world's greatest alarm clock, besides maybe your wife's soft body pressed up against yours. So I jump to my feet and listen closely for signs of life down the hallway. Tia is thankfully, still fast asleep in her nest* (see explanation of said nest* below), so Eleanore and I go downstairs for some 2% milk, and some gluten free waffles topped with peanut butter and applesauce. I'm looking forward to a good weekend.

*The nest* is a combination of about 900 pillows my pregnant wife surrounds herself with to provide comfort for her growing aching... well, her aching everything. One pillows goes in front, underneath her heaving belly and bosom. One goes behind her, to support her sore back. One is cuddled between her arms and face (that used to be my spot until she realized my breath was stinky. You never notice bad breath until you live with a person.) And the final one, a full length body pillow is placed between her legs for some damn pregnant lady reason.

11 comments:

Maggie September 20, 2008 at 9:53 AM  

OMG he is so cute- you definitely have to keep him!

My guy sleeps like a rock too, and it makes me nuts when he breathes on me!

Shell Mitchell September 20, 2008 at 9:57 AM  

lol! I remember my pillow nest so well!
And yes... my husband spent many nights on the floor.

Anonymous,  September 20, 2008 at 9:59 AM  

Lol! my husband hits the pillow and is out like a light. Plans are BBQ with some friends around :)

treasurefield September 20, 2008 at 10:08 AM  

I love the man's perspective!
My husband is just like that, the mouth sounds, driving me insane with them, and being able to sleep anywhere.
He's camped out on the couch, which is about as comfy as the floor, many a night so I can get some sleep (and those pg days are over for us).
You do what ya gotta do, hey?

Best wishes with the new little addition to your "nest"!

alisa R. :)

Kim Caro September 20, 2008 at 10:36 AM  

the man behind the belly ha ha ha cute.

oh and the pen idea on the flower stick, yes i thought about that BUT i dont think my flowers were made for it cause i mod podged it and it can get weird sticky if heat is on it....hmmmmmmm

jessicajane September 20, 2008 at 1:49 PM  

Im glad Tia and my husband have something in common (sleeping like a marine in a combat zone).

I really hope that there are going to be more sat mornings with christopher!

genuinelygreen September 20, 2008 at 3:32 PM  

Love it! I have to get my husband to blog. Love the thing he featured as well. :)

Impossible Alice September 20, 2008 at 10:48 PM  

Great post! You're a good writer and seem to be a lovely husband :) Good luck with the impending new baby!

Tins and Treasures September 21, 2008 at 10:33 AM  

Yes, I still remember the pregnant lady pillow between my legs, and it was 20 years ago for me! Sure helps with the pain in the hips, doesn't it?!

Unknown September 21, 2008 at 4:03 PM  

lmao! yeah. that was good.

Post a Comment