Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Cave Mama Syndrome and the magical ipod.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

So now that we're all moved into our fancy new house (which believe me, is totally fancy), I've started feeling the effects of what I like to call Cave Mama Syndrome. Some of you might have overheard a discussion or two about this in the Etsy etc forum, or maybe you'll understand what I'm talking about from first hand experience. I love my daughter, more than anything else in this world. But as much as I love her, I need time away from her. We're a military family, which means we're broke, and live thousands of miles away from our loved ones (friends, family, and a cat named Babies that we had to leave behind). That's not an excuse for letting myself go insane, don't get me wrong, its just one of the many playing factors. I wake up in the mornings to "Daddy Daddy!!", and am instantly disappointed when I have to go in and announce myself like "ta-da! You get *drum roll*, MAMA!", and she replies with little to no excitement. This morning wasn't so bad. I told her as soon as I walked into the room "Daddy's at work, but Mama is here to spend all day with you, is that OK?". She said "OK" in her old man voice, and we sat down for our diaper change and tickle-smooch fest. Its 105 degrees outside, which for a pregnant woman, might as well be the very center of the magma filled earth. We've only got one car, that Christopher takes to work daily. And honestly, even if we had it, could we really afford the gas to take it anywhere? OK lets say we could (even though the answer to that is a big fat no), now what? Where am I supposed to take it? The only action our Tracker really gets, is a little lovin' from the grocery store parking lot. In the fall I'll be able to take it down to Elie's favorite park, or to the zoo. But right now... we're stuck inside all day, until around 6:30 when the sun is in the right position in the sky to avoid those swiss cheese holes that I've previously talked about. By the time Christopher gets home, I'm dying for a break from the whining, and the crying, and the not listening, and the generally being a two year old-ness that I've been dealing with for hours upon hours. So yesterday, my darling husband (who made me brownies a few days ago, and let me eat them all myself, like the big fatty mcmama that I am), assisted me with setting up all of my craft stuff upstairs in our bedroom. And once it was all set up, he brought me my fully loaded ipod, which I had never had the chance to use before, and took Eleanore outside for swimming and riding bikes with the kids across the street. I know hes tired when he comes home from work. Especially when hes just ran 2 miles out in the triple digit heat (I keep reminding him that when he gets deployed, he'll be running in crazy awful heat, so he chooses to run outside rather than inside in the air conditioning for training purposes... just like Rocky. Honey you're a badass). So last night for the first time in... probably ever, I got to sit upstairs in my craft room, listening to something other than Elmo's World, playing with paper for over an hour. There are unfinished craft projects, and oops projects that have been dying to be listed. So last night, I listed this not-so-perfect-but-still-totally-bitchin' recipe box that Christopher made...


The crafting will continue tonight when the sun goes down and I can come out like a vampire. ...that was so lame, haha.

From top to bottom:
-"That's my baby, shes not for sale", by Christopherandtia, $not an option.
-"Swiss Cheese and Cracker Felt Pin", by idollatry, $5.00.
-"Rock It- recipe box and matching city scape recipe cards", by Christopherandtia, $20.00.

8 comments:

magicbeanbuyer August 5, 2008 at 10:35 AM  

I think your daughter and I are related. She looks JUST like me when I was little. If I had a baby picture to show you you'd be wondering how in the world you had 25 year old daughter and didn't know it.
And kudos to finding time to be crafty in a busy life! Your recipe boxes are awesome.

BeckyKay August 5, 2008 at 10:50 AM  

I'm sending you happy-crafting vibes!

I know what you mean. If I heard "Mommy. Mommy. MOMMY!" one more time this weekend, I would have lost my mind!! (He's lucky he's cute!)

Start To Finish Supplies August 5, 2008 at 10:56 AM  

What a cute little girl! She looks so happy in her little pool. How adorable!

lovemaryxoxo August 5, 2008 at 10:58 AM  

Best to you. Sounds like you're in need of a break :)

Brownies Vintage August 5, 2008 at 11:59 AM  

That has to be tough. Kids are hard, my sis has 4 and for many years was a military wife too (her hubby left a few years back) I can totally see her in your post.

Michele Maule August 5, 2008 at 12:23 PM  

Hang in there!! It's August, that means September will be here in four weeks, which means that October will soon follow and cool weather too!
Think cold weather...

Amanda August 5, 2008 at 1:20 PM  

Oh my goodness! So this is what I have to look forward to when I become a stay-at-home Mom? Bring it on! *giggle*

I'm really enjoying reading your blog!

muffintopdesigns August 5, 2008 at 5:23 PM  

you hang in there, my friend! don't feel guilty that you need to take time for yourself - you'll be an even better mom if you do!

p.s. even though you may be hot, know that your creations are even HOTTER!!!!! xoxoxox me

Post a Comment